Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Top 10 Cheap Photography Must Haves

Here is my list of must have items for beginners that wont break the bank. My top 10 accessories I keep in my camera bag that you can get for less than $25!

1. Spare battery (or battery pack)
This is essential for any photographer. Theres nothing worse than to be out at an amazing sunset, or in the middle of a shoot and finding out your battery is dead, so I always keep two spare batteries in my bag and charge them when I get done a shoot to make sure theyre all always fully charged for next time Im out. You can find batteries for $20 and under on Amazon. 
2. Spare memory card
I always have a 32 GB in my camera, but in case anything were to happen I keep a few spares in my bag at all times. Check your local adds or online to find the best deals on larger sizes. You can find 2-4 GB at Walmart for $8-$12.
3. Timer Remote/Cable Release
Timer remotes can be an amazing help when shooting with a slow shutter speed, they help eliminate shake from pressing the button on your camera. I got mine for $15 on amazon. (The only problem with mine is there is no on/off switch, but i just take my batteries out when Im not using it)
4.  LensPen
LensPens are my favorite thing to clean my lenses with, and theyre only around $10. Check out my review on them here.
5. Spare Lens Caps
Canon lens caps can be a pain in the neck sometimes, and theres been a few tomes Ive almost lost my caps, so a few spare is definitely a good idea to keep in your bag. You can find them at any camera supply store or even amazon for like $2.
6. Reflector
If you do portrait work, this is definitely a must for you. For an even cheaper, more portable and more versatile you can use an emergency blanket, the only problem with that is you cant one hand it while shooting, youll need someone to help you out.
7. Towel
I keep just a small hand towel in my bag, you never know when youll need it, and its actually come in handy for me a few times while out shooting. This will cost you nothing if you just use one you already have at home ;)
8. Hand wipes
Another one that you never know when youll need it. I like to keep a few in my bag for when I go on hikes or the beach to wipe off dirt and sticky saltwater just to prevent it from getting onto my camera. You can get WetOnes at Walmart or target for a couple bucks.
9. Rain Cover
A rain sleeve or rain cover is a must have in my opinion for outdoor photography. They help keep rain, and even dust and dirt when its windy, from getting on/in your camera. Although the LensCoat rain covers I have are a little more expensive, you can find them on amazon for as little as $5.
10. Comfortable Strap
The straps that come with SLR cameras are never comfortable, theyre always stiff and rough on your neck. So a new strap is definitely a must have for me. You can get them online for $20 and under, just be sure to check the reviews and make sure its not just gonna be the same cheapo one you have. 
So theres my top ten cheap must haves. I hope this list was helpful, and if you have any ideas please feel free to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment